Saturday, April 01, 2006

Ripon Club, Last Bastion of Carnivores



As of this month, I have been inducted as a member of the Ripon Club, of whose 135 year old
history precious little is known, except that it has very good food, cheaply priced, and
its whole purpose is the consumption of said very good food.

Its membership is restricted to only Parsees...previously only to Parsi gents. But later they caught up with the times and said Parsi women could be members too (with some complicated conditions thrown in).

The busiest day of the week is Wednesday, which is Dhansak day. Dhansak, for those of you who dont know is a Parsi delicacy of such richness and flavor that after eating it, you have to go lie down.

So the Ripon club provides you comfy armchairs with leg rests where you can go take a post-prandial nap after eating Dhansak. I saw quite a few members taking advantage of this neat facility when I went for lunch the other day. You can also read the newspapers or play billiards or watch TV. But I say, get right down to eating and napping!

Furthermore, the menu is entirely non-veg..as you can see from the attached photo.

Demanding any vegetarian food sends the staff and fellow members into a tizzy with much hooting of sirens, calls to action, and disapproving looks.

The other day, Dad and me were sitting down to a hearty lunch of Sali Ghosh (meat with potato slivers in a rich tomato based sauce). Suddenly Mum smsed to say she was joining us..so could we please order either fish or some veg food for her. Oh the confusion! Oh the anguish on the face of the serving staff. They were running helter skelter wondering what to do. I could see one chap hovering with his fingers above the alarm button. Finally, a compromise was reached when they fried up some fish and served it with chips. Thus was disaster averted.

On questioning the manager, he sheepishly admitted that veg food was on the menu, but since no-one EVER ordered it, it wasnt prominently displayed. After much searching, I found the veg food menu displayed on a forlorn stand near the entrance of the club.

The advantage of the Ripon club is that it's a 5 min walk from my office. The disadvantage is that I will become fat, and my wife will use my stomach as a drum.

Any of you near the Fort area are welcome to join me there for lunch. Any takers?

16 Comments:

At 7:53 PM, Blogger Sonia Faleiro said...

Yum! Count me and * in. We are at your service/mercy/ and on our best behaviour/emptiest stomach whenever you see fit to feed us. :)

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger J. Alfred Prufrock said...

Yes please. (Will you bring your bai along? Good company AND good food ...)

J.A.P.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger feedo said...

Bai will not be invited as she looks vegetarian! I cant risk losing my membership by bringing ANOTHER veg person there. But just say the day, and we shall go for lunch. At Rs. 62 per dish, I can safely say it will be my treat!

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger C said...

Oh, I am sooooooo hungry after reading this. Sigh. I have to learn more about this deadly Dhansak delicacy. I love Indian food. I'll probably dream about it now, LOL!

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger feedo said...

Ingredients :

1/4th cup Toor dal
1/4th cup Moong dal
1/4th cup Urad dal
1/4th cup Masoor dal
1/2 to 1 cup Green Pepper diced
1/2 to 1 cup Broccoli
1/2 to 1 cup Eggplant
1/2 to 1 cup Carrots
1/2 to 1 cup Celery
1/2 to 1 cup Tomatoes
1/2 to 1 cup Onions
1 Tbsp. ginger-garlic paste
Green chilies, Garam masala, Salt to taste
1/4th tsp. Cumin seeds
1 Tbsp. Oil
Corriender leaves
1/2 tsp. ghee (optional)

Method :

Wash toor dal, moong dal, urad dal and masoor dal together. Add 2 to 2 1/2 cups of water.
Add broccoli, carrots, celery and cook in the pressure cooker.
Heat oil add cumin seeds, green chilies, onion and fry until onion becomes golden brown.
Add ginger-garlic paste and fry for some more time.
Add tomatoes, green pepper, eggplant. Cover the vessel. Add some salt. Stir occasionally.
Cook the vegetables. Then add cooked dal. Add some water, garam masala, corriender leaves, some salt if needed. Stir until boiling.
Add ghee for great taste.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger feedo said...

Oh yeah..how could I forget..add some mutton / chicken / beef to the whole concoction to make it an authentic Parsi Dhansak!

 
At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember Savak? Savak used to go to Rippon Club.

For three months or so Rippon club was one of the trendiest in Bombay by hosting the Jazz nights.

xx F

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger feedo said...

*peering in the dark* Freja, is that you?

 
At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am a veggie ....so cant comment on this post :)
Saw Tuktuk in ur wedding pics. Thats Pallavi right? She is a sweet lil kiddo frend of mine.
The world is a small place :)
I am Sushruta to her.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger feedo said...

You know Tuk Tuk? Small world indeed. She's a childhood friend of Nidhi's. So you probably must have met Nidhi also.

Where did you find my wedding pics?

I shoulda known you would be veg :) As a Parsi, I cant say I approve, but I suppose someone has to eat the plants to make sure they dont take over the world heh heh.

 
At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tuktuk aka Pallavi was my batchmate at IIMC, Delhi and we worked with indiatimes for a while. She used to talk a lot abt Nidhi and her 'prespective groom' aka u :)

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger feedo said...

Wat she say about us? Anything gossipworthy? Aiyayo..now I am nervous!

 
At 12:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it's me. Told you I check!

F

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger feedo said...

Freyuuuu!! How are you doing? Miss you lots and lots. Now you have become firang you hardly write any mails also. boohoo sniff!

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger C said...

Oohhhhh YUM! Thanks! Printing it out. . . :-)

 
At 12:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As funny as always!
Alkaa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home