Thursday, June 29, 2006

Its that time of year again

One of my friends recently told me she read my blog and then went on to add as an afterthought "your chiclet blog". Nice name and highly appropriate. Have decided to rename the blog with immediate effect. That is, as immediate as possible. I mean, if this post took a couple of weeks to crank out, imagine how long a name change will take. Yeah..it could be years.

So anyways, its raining in Mumbai. Its not raining hard. Just a little bit. The weather's equivalent of light petting. But already there is panic. What is it about the rains that make my fellow drivers start driving like lunatics I ask. Most of them look like they are afraid going at more than 40km/h will cause a 10 car pile up. Furthermore, they change lanes devoid of the usual gusto and sort of meekly and slowly go from one lane to the next, causing me to impatiently honk and give them the finger (after I have gone about a mile away).

The funniest part - was driving with a close friend of mine the other day. As a mark of extravagance I had switched on the air conditioning (nothing but the best for my pals). Suddenly she puts the window down and demands that I do so as well. I was like, "why?" Her response "to save us from drowning". It took a minute for that statement to hit and then of course screams of laughter broke out (in my head - my face remained poker straight). I smile sweetly while explaining that in case the rains got too heavy, and the car was stuck in 15 feet of water, I would surely roll down the windows to ensure our escape.

People die everyday. In quite normal fashions. Its the fear of dying in a noteworthy fashion that seems to impell my fellow drivers and friend to be extra cautious. Give me noteworthy any day!

5 Comments:

At 8:27 AM, Blogger C said...

When I was a kid, I used to be afraid of crashing into a lake (why??!?!?LOL!) in a car with only electric windows and having them short out and not go down. I think I read too many Hardy Boys books.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger feedo said...

U obviously saw some movie where they crashed into a lake and drowned. Or Hardy Boys. But those guys always somehow made it out using a penknife or something!!

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Sumithra said...

God, those people are going to be even more scared after the recent rains!! I hope you guys were ok - the picture I saw were quite horrible..

 
At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hope u n ppl around u safe...

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger feedo said...

Everyone was safe..except for one of my colleagues who was in the compartment which blew up. Luckily he escaped with what could be considered minor injuries - concussion, head wounds, and impaired hearing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home