Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Womens needs mens


Last night the wife asked me to open a bottle of prawn pickle. Grunted (mostly for show), opened it and handed it to her.

She asked "why is it that women can't open jars?"

Flashbacks - age 10 - my mom handing a bottle of jam for me to open
Age 10.5 - my aunt handing me a tin of bournvita to open.
Then the years rolled forward in a sort of blur with all the women I have ever known handing me some bottle, can, tin, jar, dabba etc. to open.

Always wondered why women needed men around the house, why they felt the need to marry us, to keep us close. Realised in a flash. Women need men because they open things. They can also be called from wherever they are sitting, to the site where the effort is required, thus saving valuable energy for the woman.

Think about it, women obviously don't need men for most things. They never have. We've just been a sort of gadget kept around the house, much like the food processor.

I mean, take my wife. When she needs to talk, she calls her best buddy Reshma. When she wants to go shopping, she calls up Disha. When she needs to get her tailoring done, she calls her mom. When she wants to party, she calls Devina. For cleaning, our lovely Bai. And so on and so fart. Apart from the occasional show of strength, where am I required?

Sure, women may need us around to fertilize the eggs occasionally, but that could be done by locking us up in some great big pen and then choosing - "Hmm..I think I'll take the blonde one with big biceps today. He may not look smart, but his offspring could open a helluva lot of bottles!"

So as I go to bed today, I get on my knees and pray:

"God, give men the strength to always open cans,
Let them do it with teeth and nail and han(d)s.
Keep the can and bottle opening devices at bay,
For this dear Lord, to you I pray.

Let men roam free and range where they will,
O'er land and water and discos and hills.
Take not away their liberty and smell,
To lock them up in sperm donor hell!

Lord, let men be always strong,
E'en though they be always wrong.
Part them not from women, I say,
This my fervent prayer, it is today!

7 Comments:

At 4:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, I remember breaking my fingernails against a jam jar once when I was in standard 3. I did it with a spoon after that. The spoon was beyond repair after that. But I saved our reputations :) Mom was proud.

Thanks for making me realise what I really did.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Sumithra said...

Lol.. Now that you have mentioned it.. yeah, I always look for men to open cans too :-)

Your poetry is really something!! What a sincere and heartfelt prayer! :-) I'm sure it will be granted!

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger feedo said...

Vijay - I salute you for keeping the heads of men held high. A resounding beer burp for you!

Sunshine - I hope my prayer is heard by a male God - if there are any!

Fakhr - These things come into my mind whenever my wife hits it with a saucepan ;)

Ok Nidhi honey..Im just kidding..no no ouch! ouch!

 
At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hate to admit that i also pass on the jars to my guy friends to open :( but yes u shud b thankful we put u to some use :))

no more ninja bai tales i kinda miss it :)

 
At 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feedo.. check this article out.. what all men have to do ..

http://hindustantimes.com/news/181_1695654,00110002.htm

and we dont need men only to open jars but also to make aanda bhurji when we really hungry and cant cook.. hehe

 
At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also need men to kill roaches and bugs and other unpleasant crawlies. And reach the top shelves. Last one not in your case I suppose... xx F

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Sonali Gupta said...

:) I just said the other day that we also men to help us make conference calls
reading this makes me feel embrassed and I hope to learn how toopen baked bean cans and make conference calls

 

Post a Comment

<< Home