Saturday, May 09, 2009

Death of the White Revolver


Yesterday, I was deep in thought. A fellow employee's behaviour was buggin me and I was thinking I should write him a mail telling him he was being a perfect ass for no reason at all. Nidhi highly recommended this course of action (supportive wife and all that she is). So I went to the study and fired up the old laptop we keep at home. It was taking a while to boot up, making all these arthritic sorts of sounds and looking like it wasnt in any hurry, so I read a book for a while (100 years of solitude) and then wandered off to the living room where I got entangled quite happily in feeding Kabir. He is such an adorable eater and provides endless entertainment while he ingests his food. Anyways, I put him on my lap and then started amusing him while Nidhi distractedly put food in his mouth (American Idol being on and all).

Suddenly, we heard this loud thud. Really loud thud like the sound the last burglar made after my bullet hit him between the eyes and he crashed to the ground. Just kidding. Anyways, loud noise and Sunanda rushed out from the kitchen on the suspicion that we had overfed Kabir, he was now 100 pounds, and had now been dropped to the ground because we could no longer carry him. Just kidding!!!!! Again!!! 

Anyways, we all kinda looked at each other and were like..

Did you?? 
No!! Did you?!!! 
No!! I thought you did!!

It was the trusty ol' ceiling fan. About a hundred years it had hung on the ceiling of the study. And finally, it decided it had enough and loosed from its anchor and thudded down to the floor. One blade broke off and went spinning off. Very dramatic finale for that household appliance I can tell you. 

Which put me in mind..

If I had been sitting there in that study writing that mail...and that study isnt very big. Im not trying to be dramatic or anything, but y'know, its not much bigger than the blades of the fan. And the chair is right beneath the fan..and the fan goes fairly fast. But anyways, dont get scared. Nothing happened to me. I was luckily in the hall with Kabir!

So this made me think. Maybe there is some sort of law of Karma or something that governs our lives. I mean, people do have bad accidents at various points in their lives, but then again quite often as not, they avoid them and get saved. So maybe there is something out there that says..

"hmm..not this time. He seems to be progressing quite well, and doesnt need any time in h0spital to ruminate on how his life is going at this point." Something like that I think. 

Though I cant shake the nagging feeling that maybe I should just move my laptop a littttttle further away from the fan Im sitting under right now!


2 Comments:

At 3:52 PM, Blogger J. Alfred Prufrock said...

Even greater escape that you weren't feeding Kabir in that room.
I now have one more nightmare for when my daughter is asleep.

J.A.P.

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger feedo said...

Dont worry, it was a very old fan and a very old bracket if that makes you feel any better! But need to get all the fan brackets checked out now..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home